Having started in 2010 with the first trophy awarded in February 2011, The Smooch writing contest, sponsored by the Yosemite Romance Writers, is in its fourth year. The contest is for the best submitted ”First Kiss” scene from a romance work in progress, open to writers unpublished in novel-length fiction at the time of entry and members of Romance Writers of America.
The final judge this year is Barbara Vey of Publishers Weekly. YRW intends to announce the contest winner and runners up this Saturday, February 15. The five finalists are (in reverse alphabetical order):
- Sarah Vance-Tompkins for “The Fairy Godmother’s Rulebook”
- Samantha Moon for “Game of Charades”
- Sheri Humphreys for “Detective in the ER”
- John Conway for “Fire in the Paleo Mist”
- Shelly C. Alexander for “Love in Living Color”
Barbara Vey wrote a blog on her experience judging The Smooch: http://bit.ly/1b8EFNY.
Congratulations to the finalists and to everyone that entered. The competition for this contest is tough, and the act of putting a carefully-considered scene to paper is worthy of the highest praise and admiration.