For those of you in the Los Angeles area that enjoy the NaNoWriMo process (NaNoWriMo is short for “National Novel Writing Month” and is best known for its November event in which thousands of writers pledge to draft a 50,000-word novel in 30 days), there will be Write-Ins throughout the area.
The following list is subject to change. You can keep up by registering for NaNoWriMo, providing a current email address, and selecting Los Angeles as your writing area.
- Arcadia Public Library Writing Group
- Location: 20 West Duarte Road, Arcadia, CA 91007
- Time: 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM
- Dates: Mondays starting from March 2, 2015 (No meeting on 3/23.)
- Details: The write-in will be held in the Library Conference Room on the east side of the library. Outlets and a projector screen are available. Free wifi and plenty of research resources in the library. Food and drink allowed in the conference room so please feel free to bring your writing fuel!
- Free Parking: North Lot – 2 hours. West Lot – 4 hours. Southern wall of the west lot for 6+ hours.
- Format: Easygoing writing group. Brainstorming, preparing, writing, editing, discussing, and so on are all welcome! Freestyle writing session and we’re open to format requests from attendees.
- Looking for a co-host.
- If the Library conference room is hard to find, ask any public desk for directions.
- Host: Margie (eihwaz)
Mar Vista/Culver City
- Saturday mornings at Coffee Connection, 9:30-1pm
- Location: 3838 S Centinela Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90066
- Time: Saturday mornings (~9am-Noon-ish)
- Format: Saturday mornings at Coffee Connection is a “kick-the-hangover” kind of write-in. We generally leave each other alone and try to be productive. But we’re also friendly and will chat about writing if that’s what people want. Bonus: you can have your own table or sit with the group, indoors or out.
- Hosted by Susan Nichols and Lisa Walsh
- Contact: email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday mornings at Panera Bread
- Location: Panera Bread, 14708 Ventura Boulevard, Sherman Oaks, 91403
- Time: Saturday Mornings, 9am-noon
- Format: Critique groups, guest speakers and general writing time
- Host: Chris Bailey (BaileyNLA@gmail.com)
- 2nd Saturdays at Tous Les Jours, 1-4pm, next 3/14/15
- Location: 2814 Sepulveda Blvd., #A Torrance, CA 90505
- Time: 2nd Saturdays, 1-4pm
- Details: Free parking, free Wifi, outlets available, cheap pastries, cash only under $9.
- Format: We’re super loose. It’s a free writing/studying/working time for people to meet with other writers and share current projects or just work.
- Host: Madeline W. (email@example.com) and Annette B. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vroman’s Write-in, Sunday mornings.
- Location: Vroman’s bookstore coffee house – ZELI’S. 695 E. Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91101
- Time: Sunday Mornings, 8am – 1pm (Time is loose, but we’re all generally there 10am-noon)
- Details: One outlet, come charged, parking in the back or free street parking everywhere, bad wifi, yummy beverages and pastries.
- Format: Lots of work and some chatting. Grab a window seat or separate table if you want focus time.
- Bonus: World’s most awesome book store!
- Host: Sara (email@example.com), Viannah, Katy, Brad, etc.
- 2nd Sundays at Dupar’s Steampunk Lounge (Next: 3/8/15)
- Location: 214 S. Lake Ave., Pasadena, CA 91101
- Time: 3-6pm in the side room – ask for “NaNoWriMo”
- Details: One outlet, come charged. Free wifi. Great food & drinks. Free parking in the back
- Format: Hang-out and write!
- Host: Jennie (AthenaKTT@gmail.com) and Sara (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Monday Nights at Sabor y Cultura
- Location: 5625 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood, CA 90028, USA
- Time: Monday nights, 6-10pm
- Details: Electrical outlets & wifi, parking is mostly metered and some free on street in surrounding area. One block east at Hollywood & Western is a Ralph’s with underground parking. Not sure if you need validation, but you could check to see if available. One block east at Hollywood & Western is a Metro Red Line Station
- Format: General writing time. Bring any sort of project to work on. If you need to discuss something or need help we’ll be there as a sounding board.
- Host: SpidEMcD (Madonna)
- S.O. Unofficial Writing Group
- Location: Panera Sherman Oaks – 14708 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
- Time: Wednesday nights, 7-10pm
- Details: There is free wi-fi, power and parking in the back.
- Format: We boost our word counts and chat out our writing qualms.
- Host: email@example.com