A contest for Micro Fiction writers everywhere, in time for Halloween. But this will not feature vampires, zombies, witches, and ghosts. Apex Magazine wants something a little different.
“There’s more out there. Monsters waiting in the wings to give you a fright. And they want their moment to shine!”
Apex went to Twitter to ask its readers what monsters they would like to see steal the spotlight. They came up with everything from “wendigos to banshees to Jekyll and Hyde.”
So Apex now asks anyone and everyone to tell it a story. Here are the details:
- There will be five categories:
- sea monsters
- black dog/Hellhounds
- science experiments gone wrong
- demons (this can include wendigos, succubus, be creative).
- Write a story to fit one of these five categories, then submit it to email@example.com with the subject line formatted as Title, Author, Category.
This is a micro fiction contest. Stories must be 250 words or less. If a story is more than 250 words, it will be deleted unread.
- You can submit one story per category, five stories total. If you submit two banshee stories, we will consider the first story your submission.
- Send each story as a separate email with the story in the body of the email. No attachments, please.
- Submissions are open September 1st through October 15th. Submissions will be read by Jason Sizemore and Lesley Conner.
- Winners will be announced on Halloween on the Apex blog. There will be one winner per category.
- Apex is going to give to every writer who submits a free issue of Apex Magazine. Head over to the Apex Magazine website and check out its back catalog. Let Apex know which issue peaks your fancy when you submit and Apex will send you a download link.
So that’s what Apex wants. The winning stories will get the spotlight turned on them in the November issue of Apex Magazine. The authors will be paid 6 cents per word, receive a free 12-month subscription to Apex Magazine and a short story critique from an Apex editor. Stories for critique can be up to 5,000 words long.
If you have any questions, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.