If you listen to audio books, I recommend the narration by Celeste Ciulla of Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. The main character, Breq, is the human body that remains of what was once a massive starship with many networked human components, including Breq. Celeste Ciulla’s vocalization of Breq’s thoughts and words capture with perfection the feel of the character, who struggles with humanity and its ways, and can’t for the life of it sort out gender. Setting aside the masterful narration, the story itself is an award winner well worth the read. It has scope, pace, humor, heart and imagination.
On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Breq is both more than she seems and less than she was.
Years ago, she was the Justice of Toren – a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of corpse soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. An act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with only one fragile human body. And only one purpose – to revenge herself on Anaander Mianaai, many-bodied, near-immortal Lord of the Radch.
Celeste Ciulla (choo-la) is a talented actress and narrator. She is a 2010 Lunt-Fontanne Fellowship recipient and Callaway Award winning stage actress and voiceover artist based in New York City. She was awarded a March 2011 AudioFile Earphones Award for Narration of “Great House.” Presently in theater, Celeste is returning to Hartford, Connecticut to work with Tony Award Winning Director, Darko Tresnjak, on Romeo & Juliet. She’ll be playing Lady Capulet at Hartford Stage, through March 20th! See www.hartfordstage.org. In audio books, Celeste is back in the studio to record another wonderful novel by RaeAnne Thayne, A Cold Creek Christmas Story, a special edition Harlequin Romance, for Recorded Books. Celeste’s very impressive list of narration credits includes, among many others:
- Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult
- Great House by Nicole Krauss
- The Sookie Stackhouse Companion by Charlaine Harris
- Serendipity by Carly Phillips
- Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear
- Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton
- Simply Irresisitible by Jill Shalvis
- Toxic Heart by Theo Lawrence
- Snowbound by Richard S Wheeler
- Face of the Earth by Deborah Raney
- The Sentimentalists by Johanna Skibsrud
- Promise Not to Tell by Jennifer McMahon
- Nightwalker by Jocelyn Drake
- Every Secret Thing by Laura Lippman
- The Stormchasers by Jenna Blum
- Wicked Girls by Stephanie Hemphill
- Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas
- How To Melt A Frozen Heart by Cara Colter
- Ungifted by Gordon Korman
- Taking The Heat by Victoria Dahl
- Snow Angel Cove by RaeAnne Thayne
- His Instant Heir by Katherine Garbera
For up to date news and information about Celeste, see her website HERE.
Pingback: Persons of Interest — Ann Leckie | J. C. Conway